Saturday, May 12, 2007

Another Home Sweet Home

We traveled to Fort Riley earlier this week to secure (yet another) place to live. God truly blessed us again by leading us to a place that is going to be great. It is in a brand new development, and I think we will like it very much. It used to take me a long time to begin to feel at home in a new place. One thing this military journey has taught me is that home has very little to do with the physical surroundings. Home is where you are together with your loved ones. I know that sounds corny and cliche, but it is true.

I had a funny experience while getting onto post. As I pull through the guard shack, an MP was manning the station. He was an SPC...probably about 19 or 20. When I show him my ID, he snaps to attention and snaps off a salute.

I did not know what to do. I just stared at him. I was in civilian clothes and in a vehicle. I thought either of those situations meant you did not salute. So...I just stared at him. I drove away from the guard shack laughing...partly at the situation...mostly at myself. I called my good friend 2LT Dave and told him about the situation. He offered kind, consoling words. I believe his exact words were "...you choked, man!"

We have an official date for the Army to move us to the Fort Riley area. You just don't get any more real than that...except for actually hitting the road...which happens for me now in less than three weeks.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was glad I could help you deal with the embarassment. My dad once told me, "If your wondering whether or not to salute...you should salute." Look at the bright side, you'll have plenty of opportunities to salute to Ft. Riley MP's in the future!

Anonymous said...

Oops...I meant to say that you will have plenty of opportunities to RETURN an MP salute in the future.

Anonymous said...

CH Ken,
I haven't been able to stop laughing for the past hour! That is exactly something I would do. I am actually going to Columbus AFB soon, and I will be prepared. Thanks for teaching me through your experience. I'll try to avoid such responses in the future. 3 weeks - Oh My Goodness!

Anonymous said...

There is a military tradition that commissioned officers present a silver dollar to the first enlisted soldier that salutes them after they are commissioned. I hope you can find that MP again. And next time you drive onto a post, you shouldn't return a salute while driving. Just a greeting is enough.

Ken said...

TO FS
Thank you friend. I feel vanquished since I did not return the salute...but I must admit that I was unsure.

I was aware of the silver dollar salute tradition, and I already had the honor of awarding that honor to a CSM who was a member of the church I was serving when God called me to the chaplaincy. He was the first enlisted to salute me immediately upon my commissioning.

Thanks for the info.

By the way...you are obviously familiar with the military. Are you currently serving? Are you a chaplain headed to the June class?

Ch. Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken said...

CH KEVIN,
Welcome aboard (if I may borrow a Navy metaphor). So do I understand it correctly that you will be in the June CHOBLC class and stationed at Ft. Riley?

Ch. Kevin said...

Yes, indeed!

Dave said...

It's amazing what I have learned from reading these blogs. I had no idea what the rule was on saluting in your car.

Anonymous said...

he really saluted you, thats kinda funny (no offense) ;)

I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

and only 3 weeks ?!?!
no way

Anonymous said...

Awesome, you're going to Ft. Riley? Tell CH Vanhook and SFC Dawson that I said hello.

Ch. Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ken said...

CH KEVIN
That's cool that God provided the opportunity for you to be able to begin networking like that. Wish I could have been there, too. I will have to rely on you to provide a bridge for me.

I wish I were able to make it back to post before CHOBLC, but I will not. I guess I will look forward to meeting you at Ft. Jackson.

By the way, you didn't happen to do a practicum with a Chaplain by the name of Paul Fritts did you?

Ch. Kevin said...

Sorry, I havn't participated in a practicum. I do not know Mark Fritz either. See you at CHOBLC!