Thursday, June 14, 2007

Gas...Gas...Gas

Today was that great military tradition known as the NBC chamber (or gas chamber). Really, it wasn't all that bad. Before I took my mask off, it just felt like about 100 fire ants on the skin of my neck. (You walk into the chamber with the mask on, and then while in there you have to take it off to see what it would be like without the mask so you are highly motivated to put it on if ever the case may arise.)

Below are some pictures of me and my classmates as we are coming out of the chamber.

As we came out, we had to wave our arms (kinda like a chicken). This helped the gas dissipate from our clothing.


As you can see, no one comes out of the chamber with any clogged sinus issues.

This is one of the guys in our platoon. He is a rabbi whom we call "Mo". That is short for his first name which I cannot spell, but it is the Hebrew form of Moses.

Here are 2LT Dave and me a few moments after we came out.

Dad...you were right...breathing through my nose inside the chamber helped. Although, I did suck in a breath through my mouth one time and paid the price. Going through the gas chamber wasn't exactly a day in the park, but it wasn't all that bad either. It was an experience that helped me feel more like I was in the Army.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Agh!! You did it, you really did it. I've been suffering with allergies, so I guess I shouldn't be bothered by someone else's mucus ;). Well, two weeks down, that leaves 4 more by my count. I think it's neat that you're able to stay in touch with the "outside world," and I'm sure your family is loving your nearly-daily blog. I'm sure they are all looking forward to seeing you at the end of it.