Saturday, July 7, 2007

Pizza Anyone?


Last week signaled the end of CIMT (the basic military part of our training). To commemorate, we got to switch from wearing our patrol caps to wearing the beret's.


To be honest, before I gained the right to wear one, I didn't know how I felt about them. Now, though, I feel a tremendous amount of pride about wearing it. It links we to all the great, heroic men and women who have served in defense of this great country, and it marks a significant step in my becoming an official Army chaplain.


The berets are made of wool, so first you have to shave it (and shave it and shave it). Then you have to get it completely wet. Then you shape it on your head while it is completely wet and have to wear it for about an hour.


Jonathan told me to wear it in the shower. Now...Jonathan...I have to admit. There is part of me that is wondering if you are snickering somewhere with your EOD buddies saying:



"...yeah...I told my OLD uncle who took this crazy wild hair to become a chaplain to wear his beret in the shower. Let's see if he actually does and takes pictures of it!!"


Well...my family is back home again. It will be a while before I get to see them again. Have I told you how proud I am of my family? They are absolutely the greatest. They have embraced this new calling on our lives with an incredible amount of faith. They are truly storing up rewards for themselves.


Oh yeah...as far as the title (Pizza anyone?). One of the cautions is not to look like a pizza chef when you wear the beret because that is basically what an unformed beret looks like: one of those poofy little hats that a pizza chef wears.

Hopefully...I did okay. Jonathan...tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it looks good on you uncle ken, the whole ensemble.

jonathan

ps, i actually did shape my beret in the shower

Ken said...

Thanks Jonathan...and it has been good to hear from you lately via the blog

Ken

the said...

Hey, do yourself a favor and order a good New Zealand wool beret from Marlow White in Ft Leavenworth and you'll not look like a gook in your beret ever. Call them. Order smaller. Forget all the foolish shaving you're doing. The New Zealand wool is quantitatively different than what you are working with!